I just read Eric Elliot's article The Single Biggest Mistake Programmers Make Every Day.
I believe the single biggest mistake that every programmer makes from time to time is overcomplicating things.
― Eric Elliot
I just read the Commit messages guide, a guide to understand the importance of commit messages and how to write them well by Rômulo Oliveira.
Today I wanted to test ProxyChains with a SOCKS5 tunnel, which I did as follows:
$ proxychains curl ipinfo.io
This returns JSON which includes the proxy's IP address if everything works as expected, which it did.
For more information on how to use
proxychains, see: Subversion proxy: fixed IP address with proxychains
If you use the identity filter,
'.', you can pipe output of a command to
jq, a lightweight and flexible command-line JSON processor, and have
it pretty printed. For example:
curl -s ip-api.com/json/ | jq '.'
The above will show information about your current (external) IP address, similar to http://ipinfo.io/.
For more information about
the jq Manual.
Today I also built the latest version of ProxyChains NG in order
to get rid of the "ProxyChains-3.1 (http://proxychains.sf.net)"
message the old version of ProxyChains prints to
I just pushed version 1.0 of tumblelog, both the Perl and Python version, to GitHub.
New are the
--version option and a
[% version %] tag. The latter
can be added to the template.
Yesterday, I used the PlantSnap app on my iPhone 5 to identify a flowering bush growing in my mother's garden. The program suggested that it was a Paeonia suffruticosa. Today the flower I took a photo of yesterday was more open so I took another photo for this blog.
This morning I refactored the Perl version of tumblelog because I wanted to add next and previous links to the day pages. Yesterday, I had done some brainstorming and I concluded that quite a rewrite was required, which was indeed the case.
In the evening I modified the Python version based on the new Perl version. Both versions are available on GitHub.
After I had unpacked the Western Digital My Passport I used Disk Utility on OS X to erase and format the drive as "OS X Extended (Journaled)".
Next, I selected the drive in Finder, selected "Get Info", unlocked the settings at the very bottom and turned "Ignore ownership on this volume" off.
Finally, I used
rsync in the terminal as follows
sudo rsync -avh /Users/ \ /Volumes/Orange/Users/
to start a complete backup of all Users data on the brand new Western Digital harddisk named Orange.
When done with the backup of my OS X "El Captain"
rsync command reported a transfer speed of 34.72M bytes/sec for the
WD My Passport 2TB drive (output reformatted to fit):
sent 788.46G bytes received 13.34M bytes 34.72M bytes/sec total size is 788.81G speedup is 1.00
I just bought an orange WD My Passport 2TB online at MediaMarkt for €79.99. The external hard disk drive will be delivered tomorrow. Somehow my Revolut prepaid credit card was not accepted so I used PayPal to pay instead.
The hard drive is going to be used to make an additional backup of my Mac mini 2014 as I want to do a clean install of macOS Mojave; I am still on OS X "El Capitan".